A bacterium known as Borrelia burgdorferi is the reason behind Lyme disease in humans and a bite from infected ticks transfer the bacteria into a human body. Common indications of lime disease in Australia are headache, fever, stress, fatigue, tiredness and a skin condition or rash known as erythema migrans.
If neglected and not treated, Lyme disease can spread to joints, the nervous system and even to the heart. It is diagnosed through symptoms, physical examination (rash), and chance of exposure to ticks. If valid techniques are used the lab test results can also be helpful. It can be treated within a few weeks of proper medication under the guidance of a Lyme disease specialist in Sydney, Australia.
You can take precautions to avoid Lyme disease in Australia by using pesticides, insect repellent, limiting visit to areas where ticks are common and by removing the ticks from your body immediately. Ticks not only transmit Lyme disease, but other diseases as well. So, be careful and take necessary precautions in your surroundings.
Here are some facts about Lymes disease in Australia.
- Lyme disease occurs because of a bacterium referred as Borrelia burgdorferi that’s transmitted to people if they’re bitten by an infected tick.
- In order contaminate or infect an individual, a tick should be attached with his/her skin for more than 30 hours.
- Majority of cases of Lyme disease in Australia appear in early summer or at the end of spring.
- A common sign of Lyme disease is a pink (red), circular rash (in shape of a “bulls-eye”) with muscle and joint pain. More than 80% of folks who got infected with this disease get the rash. However, this rash might appear after many days or even weeks after the getting bitten by the infected tick.
- Almost all the cases of Lyme disease in Australia are treated successfully with help of various types of antibiotics. However, antibiotics shouldn’t be used for a long time as it might reduce the success of results. Also, high and regular intake of antibiotics can be harmful and might develop extreme complications. These situations can be avoided easily by visiting an expert Lyme disease doctor in Sydney, Australia.
- Physical examination, medical history and sometimes even a blood test is conducted to find Lyme disease in a person. Antibodies against Borrelia burgdorferi are made by human immune system in around 6 weeks and then blood tests show positive results. That is why even if a person develops the “bull eyes” rash still the results might show negative results while detecting Lyme disease in the body.
- To stay away from Lyme disease you need to be careful while walking in the woods, stay away from big grass and bushes. Cover up completely while visiting such areas. Remove ticks from your body immediately, and take a bath when you return from camping or trekking.