Dr Dobie has an interest in the treatment of fibromyalgia.
The principal symptom of fibromyalgia is pain and stiffness, primarily affecting the muscles of the neck and shoulders. Many patients have “trigger points” that are sensitive to touch.
Patients with fibromyalgia often have many other symptoms including:
- sleep disturbance
- problems with concentration and memory
- bowel disturbances
- increased sensitivity to sensory stimuli such as heat, cold and smell.
- paraesthesiae (“pins and needles” or tingling)
- muscle spasm
- weakness in the limbs
- nerve pain
- muscle twitching
Fibromyalgia can be associated with
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- tick-borne disease
- auto-immune disorders
- exposure to toxic chemicals and heavy metals
Treatments can include:
- nutritional supplements to reduce inflammation
- anti-inflammatory herbs
- measures to boost glutathione levels
- management of associated allergies and sensitivities
- stress reduction techniques
- intravenous nutrients
- drugs such as amitriptyline and duloxetine
- antibiotics (in the case of tick-borne disease).